May 13, 2008

How 'bout if I punch YOU between the eyes?

Benjamin's birth mark has not concerned me thus far. The doctor said it will fade and I believe him. And even if it doesn't, he's a beautiful boy. I figure that if it doesn't fade, we can let our imaginations run wild and create an interesting story about it. After all, Harry Potter's mark made him special. And most superheroes have a mark that makes them different or gives them special powers. We can be as imaginative as we want to be.

Now this mark really changes shades. In the obvious way, it gets darker when he's upset and lighter when he's calm. But there are also days when, for no explicable reason, it's very dark...or barely visible. So often, people don't notice it much, and occasionally people are surprised by it because they never noticed it before.

There is this one guy in the neighborhood, though, who always comments on it. This guy is a college professor, and someone I used to respect. (I have other reasons, besides the story I have yet to present, for my waning interest in this fellow.) The first time this guy (let's call him Henry) saw Benjamin, he asked VERY LOUDLY in a room full of people, "Wow - have you been punching him in the forehead?!" Er, no. I explained. That's just a birthmark and will fade with time. Let's chalk that one up to the wine he was drinking, or to roughly expressed curiosity, or to his not being a parent himself.

The next time Henry saw Benjamin, he leaned in close to look at Benjamin's forehead and asked: "What's wrong with his face?" Well, I explained, that's a birthmark that will probably go away as he gets older. He had no comment, but he kept staring at him until I passed Benjamin off to some adoring grandma-types.

The last time we saw Henry, he leaned down so that his face was right in front of Benjamin's and said: "You look like you got punched between the eyes." He appeared to be trying to make Benjamin feel bad - as if he could understand and needed to be told that something was wrong with him. I asked him why he would say something like that, but he didn't hear me, I guess. We were in a room full of people and Brent was holding Benjamin, so I decided not to make a big deal about it.

I think the next time he says something like that, I'm going to punch HIM between the eyes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very uneducated and insensitive person at the least. The birthmark will fade and is, at its worst, only in the skin.

Hurtful words and insensitivity proceed from a condition of the heart.

Would he say these things to a child he thought could understand? Just who are his words intended for?

May he be stabbed by his own ignorance.

grandmashirleyg

Anonymous said...

Yes, Benjamin is absolutely gorgeous and I personally have never noticed it!! Silly man...
xx
Amy

Jessica P. said...

Silly man, indeed. I don't know what his point was...to somehow insult us? I don't know. The thing is, this is a guy I was casual friends with so why he would want to be hurtful is beyond me. I have dicovered a few other things about him, though (besides this tale) that make me think he is far slimier than he appears. Actually, he did not appear slimy at all when I met him. Time does reveal much...

Anyway - I'm past the comments...except when they provide fodder for a snarky response. :)

Jessica P. said...

P.S. I haven't actually punched anyone, ever, in my life. I have wanted to, though.

Anonymous said...

Just an fyi. I have known several babies with this kind of birth mark, a few of them way more evident than Benjamins...and they have all faded to invisible within a couple years

Jessica P. said...

That's what I've been told - I'm glad to hear that from verious sources. But really, it's not something I worry about. I just thought this story was funny because it was part of our experience, and my jaw about hit the floor the third time he said something. I mean, wha????

Amma said...

I apparently had one similar that was in the middle of my forehead. In third grade in showed up again for a week or too and then disappeared forever (as of now). That's just strange for someone to say those things, to an infant.
They're such innocent little things. I don't get it.
I think you did well trying to counter him that last time even though he unfortunatly didn't hear you.